3rd June 2009
TOMORROW – FINAL TV CRISIS MARCH UPDATE
IT’S HAPPENING, but just in case you don’t know all the details yet, here they are again:
THE TV CRISIS MARCH
- TOMORROW: Date: Thursday 4th June 2009
- 10.30: Joburg - Gather at Atlas Studios in Milpark for rally
- 12.00: Cape Town - Gather on grass in front of SABC
- 12.00: Joburg - March to SABC
- 13.00: Joburg and Cape Town - march and picket at SABC
- AND THEN?
- 13.45: Joburg - Hand over memorandum
- The Film and television industry, it’s practitioners, actors, actresses, musicians, writers, technicians and suppliers as well as the viewers and supporters who watch the shows that are produced by local production companies for the SABC, will all be in attendance to have their grievances heard.
THE WEARING OF UNIFORMS, CARRYING OF FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS WEAPONS ARE PROHIBITED
NO CONSUMPTION OR SELLING OF LIQUOR WILL BE PERMITTED
ONE MORE THING(S):
1. MARSHALS; we are still in need of volunteers to assist with the steering and coordinating of the march. If you’re interested please forward your name and cell-phone number to the email address below.
2. LOUD HAILERS and walkie-talkies are still needed, so if there are any production companies or equipment suppliers that are willing to permit us the use of their loud hailers for the march please contact us on our email address below, or bring them along on the day.
3. MAKE A PLACARD OR POSTER; Go to the Sasfed blog (www.sasfed.org) and there you will find artwork that you can download to make a placard. Or get creative and make your own. Remember to dress in red on the day. Or better yet, come to Atlas studios in Auckland park and lend a hand in making the placards and posters.
4. SMS the SABC and tell them what you think: We will collate these comments and deliver them to the powers that be as well as the media. The number to send to: 31970. Your SMS must start with the word TV. SMS’s are charged at 50 cents.
YOUR TO DO LIST:
− CAR POOL, MAKES PARKING EASIER AND IT DECREASES YOUR CARBON FOOTPRINT
− MAKE YOUR OWN PLACARD AND BE HEARD
− WEAR RED AND BE SEEN
− REMAIN WITHIN THE CORDONED OFF AREA, THIS WILL ASSIST THE MARSHALS IN DOING THEIR JOB.
− DON’T BRING YOUR COOLER BOX – IT’S NOT THAT KIND OF PROTEST
− LEARN A FREEDOM SONG, IT MIGHT COME IN HANDY
− AGAIN - SMS THE TVIEC SMS LINE AND SHARE YOUR OPINION ABOUT THE STATE OF AFFAIRS AT THE SABC. The number is 31970. Your SMS must start with the word TV. SMSs are charged at 50 cents.
OUR CONTACT: email@example.com
The action will be a peaceful protest and will be controlled by marshals. It is important to stress that we are adopting a positive tone. The TVIEC is fighting FOR the SABC – for a transparent, efficient and sustainable SABC that upholds the values of a credible and responsible public broadcaster, respectful of the South African public and its key partner in content supply – the local production sector, their casts and crews.
This letter is written on behalf of the TVIEC (Television Industry Emergency Coalition) which consists of: IPO (Independent Producers Organization), SASFED (South African Screen Federation), TPA (The Producers Alliance), DFA (Documentary Filmmakers Association), WGSA (Writers Guild of South Africa) as well as the CWU (Creative Workers Union).