Do you want to market your scripts to international players from around the world and attend seminars by 100 of the world’s most famous writers? If yes, STORY EXPO 2015 is where you want to be!
The WGSA plans to take 20 film and/or television performance writers to the STORY EXPO from 11 - 13 September 2015, which will take place in Los Angeles, California, USA!
Story Expo is like Comic-Con…but for writers.
Story Expo is the world’s biggest convention of writers from all mediums – screenwriters, TV writers, novelists, filmmakers, gamers, journalists, graphic novelists, actors, business people, comic book writers and more. Featuring over 110 world-renowned speakers, 100+ classes and 30+ exhibitors, Story Expo covers all aspects of story and writing – from craft to business to pitching to career.
Learn how and where your story is best told to achieve its greatest success both financially and creatively. Take control of your stories by learning the craft, learning which medium your stories are best told, understanding the business of storytelling, identifying and using the tools and resources available to you, understanding how to package and pitch your ideas and scripts, and using social media and other techniques to start and maintain a successful writing career. Also be able to pitch your scripts and stories to top production companies, agents and managers in our Story Expo Pitching Room. Plus network with your peers from around the world during a fun, over-the-top weekend.
- Your Story Is Important. Stories are written to move people, to change people's lives. Learn how and where your story is best told to achieve its greatest success both creatively and financially.
- Learn from Today’s Top Teachers. Only at Story Expo will you get almost 100 of today's top, A-List story experts all together in one weekend, many teaching classes not available anywhere else.
- Be Inspired. Stories inspire us. They move us. They make us feel. The great French filmmaker Jean-Luc Godard said, "Sometimes reality is too complex. Stories give it form.” We all need that push, that inspiration, that allows us to create amazing new story worlds. Be around fellow writers from around the world who you will find inspiration in, and who will find inspiration in you.
- Sell Your Script! Unlike most pitching events, the executives hearing pitches in the Story Expo Pitching Room are the real deal - development execs, VPs, managers and more. They have gone to great lengths to bring you the cream of the crop (20th Century Fox, CAA, Sony Crackle, eOne, Participant Media and more) to pitch face-to-face to.
- It's Story Expo! Story Expo is produced and presented by TV/Film Seminars, the leading company in the world for writing and film-related seminars and workshops. Since 1999, they've brought you the biggest and best seminars and workshops from today's leading speakers.
STORY EXPO 2014 – PITCHING ROOM
In the Story Expo Pitching Room you will have the choice of sitting down with over 70 major companies to pitch your idea or screenplay to. Each pitch is a 5-minute, face-to-face meeting with an executive from the company you choose. Like in any pitch meeting, the executives recommend keeping your pitches 1-2 minutes long – excite them, wow them, woo them, make them want to hear more. After your pitch, they will discuss your pitch with you and give you valuable feedback. And if they like your pitch? They’ll request you send them your script or to talk with you again.
You have the chance to attend Story Expo 2015 as part of the WGSA’s application to the Department of Trade and Industry’s (DTI) brand new Group Export Sector Specific Assistance Scheme (SSAS). The DTI is doing great work to help emerging content writers promote their projects at some of the world’s top events.
While some individuals may want to apply to the DTI directly, many writers are not in a position to cash-flow a trip and then be refunded later, as per the individual scheme. The advantage of the group scheme is that the DTI pays suppliers UP-FRONT for flights, transfers and accommodation, including breakfast and dinner. It also pays for the group’s stand at the market, the printing of brochures and the freighting of promotional materials.
The group scheme is predominantly for emerging writers (60%), but a smaller contingent of experienced writers will be accepted as well. Preference will be given to previously disadvantaged applicants, especially those who have never attended an international film and script market before.
PLEASE NOTE that WGSA cannot guarantee that the DTI will approve the group application.
- Closing date: 28 FEBRUARY 2015 for electronic applications (see below application form to be e-mailed to email@example.com). NO LATE or INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS will be considered.
- Please do not mail or courier original applications until the WGSA Council has approved your email application
- All applicants must be prepared to join the WGSA if they are not yet members, and existing members must be paid up. For more information send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that this also applies to candidates applying via the NFVF.
- A non-refundable, application fee of R100 is payable upon submission of application, and proof of payment must be submitted with the application. Please include YOUR NAME AND SURNAME/EXPO as REFERENCE. Payments without a reference cannot be assigned and your application will be unsuccessful.
- All applications with proof of payment must be emailed to email@example.com
- Duly completed and signed application form (see below).
- Company profile as per guide on the application form if applicable. This can be done on the application form itself or separately but must be in line with the guidelines set out on the application form. If you are a sole proprietor and not a company or cc, please attach a comprehensive CV also in line with the guidelines of the application form.
- Proof of registration of the enterprise in the form of a CIPRO certificate if a CC or (Pty) Ltd, or a certified copy of your ID document in the case of a sole proprietor.
- Valid tax clearance certificate – at least valid until the end of the September 2015.
- A logline as well as a comprehensive synopsis or treatment of your project. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR PROJECT IS COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. Works can be registered via the WGSA Script Registry. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Audited Financial Statements or bank statements for at least three months, stamped by the bank.
- A valid copy of the passport of the delegate valid until at least until the end of October 2015.
At this stage, a full set of the ORIGINAL documentation as set out above has to be hand delivered to the WGSA.
Courier / hand deliver (during business hours - 09:00 to 17:00) to:
Mail counter-to-counter to:
P.O. Box 1330
Applicants will be informed by WGSA if our group application to DTI has been successful.