The second annual IMSFF is taking place from 2 - 5 July 2015, and short films will be screened over a four-day period at the Atterbury Theatre in the Lynnwood Bridge Complex, Pretoria (just off the N1). We’ll screen up to 30 hours of short films from some of the most up-and-coming directors and producers in our country!
Short films, past and present, are true works of art, and deserve a festival dedicated to their exhibition. Short filmmaking is in the midst of a renaissance. Screening at a festival is a sure-fire way to start creating a buzz around your film and your career.
Our mission is to present quality short films from around South Africa as well as support, recognize and honour filmmakers creating a films under 30 minutes. This is a movement to exhibit and expand the art form of short filmmaking and support emerging filmmakers in reaching new audiences through the powerful language of film.
Serving as South Africa’s only dedicated short film festival, the IMSFF was founded to showcase contemporary short filmmaking, and aims to exhibit the most captivating and innovative short content. In the process, IMSFF hopes to build an audience for short film and help giving aspiring filmmakers a foot in the door of an rapidly growing industry. The short films will be organized thematically, in hopes of representing the full range of the human experience as reflected by our chosen filmmakers.
This year, we'll have 20 award categories, or better known as the MZANSI's. Nominees and winners will be chosen by a distinguished jury of industry professionals.
AWARDS WILL BE GIVEN FOR THE FOLLOWING ACHIEVEMENTS:
1. Best Short Film
2. Best Director
3. Best Student Film
4. Best Original Screenplay
5. Best Actor
6. Best Actress
7. Best Cameo by any Actor/Actress*
8. Best Use of Music
9. Best Original Score*
10. Best Cinematography
11. Best Editing
12. Best Sound Editing & Mixing
13. Best Visual Effects*
14. Best Production Design
15. Best Animated Short Film
16. Best Makeup & Hairstyling
17. Best Costume Design
18. Best Documentary Short Subject*
19. Best Trailer*
20. IMSFF Choice Award.
(* new categories)
Nominations in each category will be announced a week prior to the event, and published on the IMSFF website and in the Screen Africa online magazine.
The INDEPENDENT MZANSI SHORT FILM FESTIVAL is designed to educate and inspire the next generation of filmmaker. We feature interviews with working industry professionals, live Q&A sessions with directors and producers in attendance, as well as workshops/ seminars for low-budget filmmakers. The festival will also give emerging filmmakers opportunity to network.
Please read the following submission requirements carefully before submitting your entry via email or online:
- Films must have been completed after November 1st, 2013.
- All non-English films must have English subtitles. (Afrikaans, Xhosa, Zulu, Sotho, etc.)
- Films must be submitted on MP4 video and MOV video.
- Film aspect ratio is preferably 16:9 (Since 2009, it has become the most common aspect ratio and is also the international standard format of HDTV and Full HD).
- Audio is STEREO only.
- Works-in-progress will be considered, provided they will be completed two weeks prior to the festival.
- You may submit more than one film, but each submission must be a entry accompanied by its entry fee.
- Please do NOT send stills or press kits. If your film is selected we will ask you to email us a still.
- If your film is selected, you will be asked to provide: video trailer of '30 seconds in length and a poster A1 in size.
- All films selected for the festival grant IMSFF the rights to use press materials from the film for promotional purposes.
- All films selected for the festival grant IMSFF the rights to upload the submitted video trailer of 1 minutes in length on their YouTube Channel online for promotional purposes.
Submissions are accepted until June 5th, 2015.
For more information on your CALL FOR ENTRIES visit our website @ www.imsff.co.za
Or contact us via email: email@example.com
If you know of a filmmaker who wants recognition for his work, this is the festival to join!
See YOU at the movies...