The South African Screen Federation (SASFED) in addition to its recently advertised
Lobbyist position, is now looking to contract an attentive and efficient Administrator and
Communications officer for an initial contract period of 9 months from latest 15 March till 15
December 2020 and based on its current funding cycle. The ideal candidate should be
proactive, detail orientated and able to supply efficient administrative support to the
leadership and membership of the organisation as well as provide a communications
function between member organisations, staff and office bearers of SASFED, stakeholders,
partners and interest groups and where required the general public.
• Administrative support to the SASFED council, the SASFED Office Bearers and staff and where possible and within reason to support the various organisations who make up its membership as well as assist growing such membership.
• Generating, collating and dispersing of internal and external correspondence.
• Accurate recording and dispersing of monthly and ad hoc meeting minutes.
• Working closely with the SASFED Lobbyist to manage workflow and support this person.
• Attending SASFED Council meetings after hours where required.
• Manage and coordinate meetings, events and stakeholder engagements workshops.
• Maintenance of systems such as, but not limited to, e-mail, drives, website and social media, and to have a good technical and problem solving ability.
• Read and understand the SASFED Constitution and operate and communicate within its spirit and framework. Further to assist monitor Constitutionality of all SASFED meetings, and any actions or communications by its staff, elected office bearers, council or other representatives.
• Ensuring that any SASFED campaigns and advocacy work is effectively communicated.
• Communicate within the framework of SASFED’s constitutional scope within the industry and between SASFED Member organisations.
• Produce social media content and update the blog based web site regularly with content sourced or self-generated as appropriate.
• Moderate discussions and activity on online platforms.
• Spread reach of website content, using social media and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).
• Build and maintain media and stakeholders lists as well as accurate membership details as required by the SASFED Constitution. Page 2 of 2
• Research and do statistical breakdown of SASFED’s members membership on basis of racial, and gender and geographic demographics which must be kept updated.
• Be first line of communication for all SASFED matters, by email, social media, or telephone, and be able to answer calls at SASFED office during standard working hours.
• Make responsible use of SASFED resources to minimise time needed by volunteer positions in SASFED and reduce burden on them. This includes telephonic contact where required.
• Monitor and enforce use of SASFED resources within best practices and motivate for any additional requirements in good time and clearly to the Elected Office Bearers.
• Follow extreme ethics and best practice in terms of interaction with any other person or in the way SASFED is communicated about generally, and report any abuse of ethics to the Chair-Persons or Treasurer as applicable.
• Prior Administrative experience is necessary.
• Time management within the scope of scheduled and unscheduled tasks.
• Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
• Proactive, organised approach to multi-tasking.
• Ability to manage time-sensitive tasks.
• In-depth knowledge of the creative industry and particularly where the independent production sector fits, is beneficial.
• Working knowledge of social media apps, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Awareness of current affairs, particularly with respect to industry developments.
• Take instruction from the SASFED Lobbyist, as well as elected office bearers and liaise with legal and research capacities as required and within the funding budget.
• Cope within a stressful work environment.
• Preference will be given to persons of colour.
• Understand and sympathise with government transformation agenda.
• A Johannesburg based position.
• Access to transport at your own expense to and from the office located in Linden; Johannesburg daily, including for after-hours meetings when required.
Our position is highly flexible in the delivery of tasks within specific time frames. A proactive
approach is required in order to facilitate and manage specific tasks and portfolios at the
request of the SASFED Lobbyist and other contracted staff, as well as SASFED Elected
Office Bearers and the Council.
The candidate may be required to represent the organisation at various levels within the
industry and at government stakeholder engagements. It is therefore important for the
candidate to understand the nature of the industry and the various organisations’
requirements within these spheres and to study the SASFED Constitution.
Applications should consist of a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae, a motivational letter on why you should be appointed and your unique experience you bring to the table, and contactable references.
Your application must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 5pm, 28 February 2020.
Interviews will take place of shortlisted candidates in Linden, Johannesburg on Monday the 2nd of March. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.