The National Film and Video Foundation, an agency of the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture, invites all eligible and reputable TIER 1 and 2 filmmakers ONLY (refer to the definition in our funding policy) to submit proposals reflecting on the life and legacy of Solomon Thekiso Plaatjie.
In pursuance of our strategic pillar of Promoting Social Cohesion and Nation Building, the NFVF will be funding the production of a documentary about Solomon Thekiso Plaatjie.
Solomon Thekiso Plaatjie was born on the 9th October 1876, in the Boshof district of the Free State, South Africa. A South African intellectual, journalist, linguist, politician, translator and writer. Founder member and first General Secretary of the South African Native National Congress (SANNC) which later became the African National Congress (ANC).
Terms of Reference:
The proposals must be different from all the other biographical documentaries in content, internationally appealing without compromising on authenticity.
The proposals must demonstrate the preservation of our history, culture, politics, Plaatjie’s personal journey and legacy for the next generation.
The proposal that is selected out of this call will have to meet the NFVF’s requirements for content that informs, educates, entertains and offers unique perspective into the life of one of South Africa’s liberation heroes.
In order for a production company to be considered for this opportunity, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Producer/s must be South African citizens.
- Producer must demonstrate some knowledge of packaging (archive) and marketing of documentary films
- Production company should have completed at least 1-2 feature films and documentary films or 2-3 short films which have been released theatrically, broadcast on television or exhibited in a festival.
- Previous recipients of slate or project funding (e.g. female and youth projects) from the organisation are not eligible
- Applicants who have two active NFVF funded projects across the value chain in one funding cycle are also not eligible
- Company must be 51% black owned and managed by a black producer
Applications must include:
- 1-2 page motivation
- 1-page synopsis
- Visual Treatment
- Detailed outline
- CVs of key creative team with showreel/portfolio of work
- Finance and recoupment plan
- Proposed production schedule
- Marketing and distribution strategy and plan.
All applicants must submit the following compulsory documentation:
- BBBEE certificate;
- Valid Tax Clearance Certificate or Tax Clearance Status Pin Document (not older than one year)*
- Recently Certified ID copy (dated certification stamp not older than six months)*
- Company registration document
Applicants need to register and complete the online application form using the following link: https://nfvf.praxisgms.co.za/
Failure to submit the above-mentioned compulsory documentations will render the application incomplete and therefore disqualified.
The Closing date for applications is 10 November 2020. Any queries maybe directed to firstname.lastname@example.org