The National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF) is an agency of the Department of Sports, Arts and Culture that was created to ensure the equitable growth of South Africa's film and video industry. The NFVF does this by providing funding for the development, production, marketing and distribution of films and also the training and development of filmmakers. In addition, the NFVF commissions researches and produces industry statistics that provide both the public and stakeholders with valuable insights into the South African film industry.
The NFVF in collaboration with the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) is pleased to announce that the call for directors to submit proposals for the Youth Filmmaker Project is now open. The filmmakers will be guided by the team at Triangle Post and Animation Studios, facilitators of the NFVF project.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The concept for the Youth Filmmaker Project is to provide ten young filmmakers, particularly those from historically disadvantaged backgrounds, with an opportunity to make a film in collaboration with other filmmakers. The aim of the project is to direct 10 films over a 10 week period.
This project is targeted towards aspirant young filmmakers who have a desire to break into the industry and would like to pursue directing as a career path. This platform will ensure that each participant has a completed film that will form part of their portfolio in the future.
We are looking for 10 aspirant young filmmakers who will direct ten predetermined scripts of a 24-minute duration that revolve around the theme of BEYOND. These will be produced by Triangle Post and Animation Studios, successful directors will be paired with qualified mentors and a production team in order for the film to be realised.
To nurture, support and promote young filmmakers in South Africa through strategically developed training laboratories and workshops. To seek out remarkable directors, which will bring new perspectives to our South African, African and global audience.
Successful candidates will go through a series of intensive workshops facilitated by qualified mentors in the industry who will equip them with the right tools in making the short films a success. The director’s workshop will take place over a one week period. Each director will work with a professional production crew and will work closely with the writer. All workshops and shoots will take place in and around Gauteng.
Successful candidates must be able to set aside 3-6 months in order to fully partake in the programme.
A director will be considered upon meeting the following qualifications:
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18 to 35 years old.
- New in the industry and has passion for directing, no experience required.
- Applicants can be from any province within South Africa but preference will be given to those residing outside the main regions of Gauteng and Western Cape.
- Applicant must make sure that she/he is available without fail for the duration of the programme (workshops, shoot, post-production).
Eligible candidates for the project must meet the following criteria:
- Must have a passion for directing.
- Have a good eye for telling stories using pictures.
- Have a passion for telling stories that resonate with our present context.
- Preference will be given to individuals from historically disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Be willing to meet the demands of the film industry and be present at every workshop and shoot.
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to work as a part of a team in the pursuit of the same objective.
- Understand the value of and is able to work under pressure and tight schedules.
- Optional: Have a portfolio of work to show their capability e.g. a show reel.
All applicants are required to submit the following documents in order to be considered:
- Any work done as a director in the industry
- Motivation letter (Who you are and why you are passionate about filmmaking, how you would benefit from the programme, why you are an appropriate candidate for the programme)
- Detailed CV of the applicant
- No qualifications required but any qualifications in directing will be an added advantage
- Certified copy of ID document (not older than 3 months)
- Show reel/work portfolio (if available)
Please make sure that you attach all required documents because any missing documents will lead to automatic disqualification. No stipends will be paid to our directors. Directors outside Johannesburg will have to find their own accommodation and transport if chosen.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Friday, 20th November 2020.